Although concrete speculations of the future described in the books of the Bible I have been working with are ”dangerous” and can lead into many blind gates, I have allowed myself to come with a few ones of my own.
One of my arguments for sharing these speculations now, is that most of the thoughts I now have had for five years, have remained the same since, yes, merely been confirmed as time has passed by. Please let me list a few:
- Is Russia the fourth beast in Daniel 7, and the seventh head in Revelation 17?
Let us first look into Daniel 7:
The fourth beast with 10 horns is described as a different kingdom; it “shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces” (v.23).
The Roman Empire (as many says this is the fourth beast in Daniel 7) covered a lot of the earth, but by far not the whole earth, and it did not break everything in pieces, as it will be the case for the fourth beast. Then again, if this beast has nothing to do with the Roman Empire an opening exists for the Russian “kingdom” as this seems to be a possible competitor in the race to become the most scary, evil and “beasty” of beasts. A few details that might point into this direction, when looking more closely to the fourth beast (and also the different horn) are:
- The Russian kingdom has historically been one of the most terrible kingdoms in history. During Stalin’s reign of terror, twenty millions people were killed. Also, this kingdom has been a massive persecutor of the Church (Daniel 7:27).
- In the last eighteen years – since Russia’s President Vladimir Putin started his reforms – Russia has changed from being a “joke” to now being the most powerful (?) nation on earth. Russia has the Middle East with Iran and Syria in their pocket, China and India in their left hand, and they can whenever they want, do some “bad things” with their right.
- The Russian kingdom has not yet been a universal kingdom, but from Revelation 17:9-11 we can see that the seventh head of the dragon (which equalizes the fourth beast in Daniel) covers for both the seventh and eighth kingdom. The first kingdom (number seven) seems to receive “universal power” for a short time together with the latter (number eight). If Putin’s Russia is the eighth kingdom, then the seventh might be the “old” Russia from 1917.
- The fourth beast is described as a beast with ten horns. These horns are not described as kings ruling together with the beast (as in Revelation 17) but as kings following each other. In my opinion this is what Daniel 7:27 suggests, as a kingdom normally does not have more than one king. Also the word “after” suggest this way of thinking:
The ten horns are ten kings
Who shall arise from this kingdom.
And another shall rise after them.
Could these 10 horns refer to the 10 presidents of the Russian Kingdom since 1917? This is carefully suggested as a possibility? However, when looking into the Russian history for the last 100 years, we are again and again reminded of what terrible acts some of the following names cover for:
- Vladimir Ilych Lenin: 26 October 1917-3 April 1922, 4 years 6 months
- Joseph Stalin: 3 April 1922-5 March 1953, 30 years 11 months
- Nikita Khrushchev: 7 September 1953-14 October 1964, 11 years 1 month
- Leonid Brezhnev: 14 October 1964-1. November 1982, 18 years 1 month
- Yuri Andropov: 12 November 1982-9 February 1984, 1 year 3 months
- Konstantin Chernenko: 13 February 1984-10 March 1985, 1 year 1 month
- Mikhail Gorbachev: 11 March 1985-25 December 1991, 6 years 9 months
- Boris Yeltsin: 26 December 1991-31 December 1999, 8 years
- Vladimir Putin: 1 January 2000-6 May 2008, and 8 May 2012-? (2024)
- Dmitrij Medvedev: 7 May 2008-7. May 2012, 4 years
- The little horn?
Is the coming President of Russia “the little horn”, following the ten horns in Daniel 7?
What about the beast from the sea and the beast from the earth in Revelation 13? Is the little horn the same as the beast from the earth, and also the eighth beast? Could this be Russia’s next president?
We read in Revelation 13 about the seventh head that was mortally wounded. Is this Russia anno 1999 when “Jeltsins empire” almost went “under”, before Putin’s reforms changed everything?
What about Ezekiel 36-39 – Gog and Magog. These are names that are repeated again and again in writings regarding the end times. Who is Gog? Where is Magog? We also meet the two names when dealing with the millennium in Revelation 20 where their appearance is closely connected with the fact that the devil will be released from his prison. Apparently, we are not given much help from their meaning in Hebrew. Gog means “the highest point of the roof”, and Magog means “off the roof” – although it seems as we should look to the north of Israel. Augustine saw these names in close connection with the binding of Satan. He said that Gog being “stored” on the roof (Magog) represents the period of the Gospel when the devil was bound. But in the end times Gog will be released from the roof, he said.
This person Gog is a leader with a great army. In addition, he has some allies. They are:
- “and Libya are with them, all of themwith shield and helmet”
- “Gomer and all its troops”
- “the house of Togarmahfrom the far north and all its troops”
- “—many peopleare with you” (Ezekiel 38:5-6).
The names given for “Persia, Ethiopia and Libya” are somehow misleading. Persia is Iran, as we all know, but the area of the ancient Persia was quite bigger, also including today’s Iraq, Syria and Saudi Arabia. The expansion of extreme groups, as IS, may create some concern about what is going on in these areas, although right now (February 2016) it seems as if the allies Russia, Iran and Syria (Assad’s troops) might be a potential “winner” of the war being fought right now. (Definitely anno 2018)
“Ethiopia” and “Libya” are not precisely the places covering these countries today (which is why I find it misleading to use these names). The correct words for these two areas, mentioned together are “Cush” and “Put”. The Cushitic-speaking peoples of today comprise the Agaw, Oromo, Somalia, Afar and several other tribes meaning that Cush covers the whole Horn of Africa: Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia, parts of Sudan, all the way up to Egypt.
Put, which is translated “Libya”, is more likely the countries covering the northern coasts of Africa.
Today, it may be easier to understand that the Islamic northern Africa together with Iran and Syria will attack Israel – as Russias allies – than the Horn of Africa with the Coptic Ethiopia will do the same. However, with the strong influence of Islam in some parts of Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea and also Egypt and Sudan, the picture could change very fast.
There are other details regarding Gog I choose not to add, but if this person is related to the Chief Prince of Magog (Russia), please investigate on your own the history of todays version.
- Does Babylon in Revelation 17 represent USA?
As written in my book:
Who is the harlot? There have been many attempts to find the harlot in history, and also today, as if she should be one specific institution. However, it is hard to find her. Like normal harlots and prostitutes she is hiding in the dark, with her shame and immorality. Many scholars and teachers say that she is the Roman Catholic Church. They say that this church has persecuted evangelical Christians for decades (verse 6), and that Babylon is the name the first Christians used on Rome. Although these assumptions might point into the right direction, I do not think that they are specific enough.
First, her function: riding on the beast with seven heads. Taking the first two kingdoms to be Egypt and Assyria does not seem to do full justice to the description of the harlot who sits on the seven heads, which are the seven kings (Rev. 17:7-10+). She is given the name Babylon and is identified as the mother of harlots and of the abominations of the earth (Rev. 17:5). In order to be the mother of harlots, she would have to be the source from which her daughter-harlots were born. Thus, it seems best to see the harlot as having ridden upon the beast, sitting upon its seven heads, throughout history.
Just as it is impossible that the harlot, mother of harlots, can be Rome (only), it is impossible that she is the Babylon of Nebuchadnezzar’s days. This is for the same reason. It does not date back far enough. We must go further back, and find it in Genesis 10:8-10 and 11:9. There we find her in the land of Shinar; under Nimrod. He began the work in the spirit of the harlot; his object being to build a city, and make for his people a name, so that they might not be scattered. Babylon [Babel] was founded in rebellion against God.
Here is the key to understand the harlot. Here is her main spirit; building her way to God, instead of letting God’s hand reach towards her. The harlot is religious, looks holy, confesses her belief in God, but she does not want to know of God’s salvation. She wants to build, build and build, although God has told her to rest and listen to His word and to receive His salvation.
As I have said this kind of christianity is found everywhere in the world, a christianity where there is no real need for Christ, and where a restless variant with endless building has replaced the original version. But where in this world do we find this kind of “faith” more common than any other place in this world?
Apparently we need to look in the areas where the Christian church has a tradition and a history – and a place where the tradition has become similar to Babylons way of being a church. To me there may be a few options, but based on the following aspects, I am deeply concerned that USA is the right place to look for.
There are really many churches in the US, and many big “mega”-churches. No doubt that there are few other places on this planet where more people will confess themselves as believers or religious.
But what kind of christianity do we find?
- A christianity very identifiying itself with Jesus Christ as servant for the poor, the hungry, the needing…??
- A christianity where the prosperity gospel with all its lies often has replaced the real gospel – telling that God will make you wealthy and happy if you believe in God…(USAs worst export article…)
- A christianity with more false prophets (with different meanings of what God will do in the future) than any other place in this world
- A christianity often messing the christian gospel up with politic messages
- A christianity claiming the USA to be Gods own country, altough this is not true.
- A christianiy where the ungodly president Donald Trump, who is connected with casinos, swearing, lies, prostitutes, persecution of blacks and mexicans (even children) may call himself christian, and most of all his “co-believers” will legitimate this as truth because he is Republican?!
- And finally – a christianity lacking the pure teaching of Gods own word – how Jesus came to this world to save sinners – and sinners alone. This simple Gospel and message has namely been replaced, in great manner, by a different and another gospel – which is not a gospel – telling everyone to build, build and build…
Now what will happen with Babylon – the religious harlot riding on all the empires from Egypt to Assyria to Babylon to Medio Persia to Greek to Roman empireand into our time? God will destroy her:
“The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire. For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to hand over to the beast their royal authority, until God’s words are fulfilled. The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth.” (Revelation 17)
Is this what is going to happen – happening right now? Is Russia, the Beast, about to Ruin the woman you saw…?
3.Israels 70 weeks
There is a prophety in Daniel 9 saying:
Seventy weeks are determined
For your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins,
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint the Most Holy.
Know therefore and understand,
That from the going forth of the command
To restore and build Jerusalem
Until Messiah the Prince,
There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks;
The street shall be built again, and the wall,
Even in troublesome times.
And after the sixty-two weeks
Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself;
And the people of the prince who is to come
Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.
The end of it shall be with a flood,
And till the end of the war desolations are determined.
Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;
But in the middle of the week
He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.
And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate,
Even until the consummation, which is determined,
Is poured out on the desolate. (Daniel 9:24-27)
Most scholars deal with the fact that 490 years (70 weeks) are given a time of Evangelical freedom for Israel (thy Holy People) – but does this prophecy indicate that there is also a period of 490 years for the Jews to live in Israel – the Holy City?
The Jews have lived in Israel as their own country for approx. 410 years from the establishment of Jerusalem around 1000 BC until 586 bc – the captivity in Babylon, and now for 70 years since 1948. Is this a coincidence that we are about to reach the 490 years?
Please take my speculations for what they are, and feel free to read my book. These thoughts are deeply born in the texts I have been working with, bit there are still a lot of open questions. However, I also think that a lot of what I hereby have been writing, is pointing to one and the same direction.